There are many types of leadership styles followed by many leader. Each style is having its own speciality. A best manager will be able to adopt any style according to the existing situation. Let us see the types of leadership styles along with the situations in which the style will be used.
Various types of leadership styles are as follows:
- The manager holds complete power
- The subordinates needs to obey the orders received
- The managers does not consult or informed regarding any decisions taken by him
- The employees gets formal rewards for good work and also punishments for any mistake.
Autocratic method is useful when…
• Employees don’t listen to managers
• When less time is available for taking decisions
• Mass production and routine job
• Employees are not well skilled or new employees example: production head of mass manufacturing company.
This types of leaders leads the members by procedures and policies.
They don’t make any decision they supervise whether the employees follows the procedure in given standards. In case of any issue they don’t decide by themselves they consult their superiors or or next level people.
Bureaucratic type is useful when:
• The job involves dangerous particles or machines which makes problems when not used as per guidelines.
• When the production demands particular standards
• Mostly in jobs which involves handling of cash
Example lab authority, Police officer etc…
This is also called as a Participative leadership style. Leader consult and inform the employees any decision and final decision will be done by the leader. Leader collects information from employees regarding any decision the employees are allowed to set their own goal the employees are motivated and rewarded duly motivate employees for personnel growth also.
Democratic method is useful when:
Employees are well trained and skilled more interpersonal relations is required for performance lot of information is required for making any decision.
when there is a need for updating the employees regarding any decision when high quality is encouraged in production.
• This leadership style is handled as a last option. This type indicated the powers hold by the leader to punish the employees. This type is also not preferred by the leaders itself as the risk of job turnover is high when this method is used. In today’s competitive world this method is not encouraged by leaders and employees both
Coercive method is used when:-
• The leader don’t left with any options
• Very short time is available to finish a task
• When a crisis is going on in the organization
Encourage the employees with rewards as per their desire. Exchange process like give employees a status and money for the work they have done. Focus on relationship with employees. Leaders adapt their style and behavior to meet expectations of followers.
Transactional type of style is used when
• Leader wants to keep employees in full control
• When there are approaching deadlines that must be met
• Relationship is short term
• Research indicates that transformational leadership is more strongly correlated with lower turnover rates, higher productivity, and higher employee satisfaction.
• Inspire followers to transcend their self interest for the organization
• Appeal to followers’ ideals and values
• Inspire followers to think about problems in new or different ways
• Common strategies used to influence followers include vision and framing
Transformational type is used when:-
• When leaders want members to be an active part of the organization and have ownership to it
• When leaders are building a sense of purpose
• When the organization has a long term plan
• When people need to be motivated
• This type of leaders give little or no directions to the employees
• Members needs to set their goal, make decisions and complete task.
Laissez-Faire is useful when
• Employees are highly skilled, experienced, and educated
• Employees have pride in their work and the drive to do it successfully on their own
• Outside experts, such as staff specialists or consultants are being used
• Employees are trustworthy and experienced